Acting as arbitrator in multiple references involving various commodities including the following: Indian Iron Ore Fines; Australian Iron Ore Fines; Indonesian Steam Coal; Australian Coking Coal;; Metallurgical Coke; South African Coal & Indian Soybean Meal;
Advising Buyers and Sellers
John has experience in disputes involving many types of commodities including edible and agribusiness; steam coal, oil and gas; met. coal, ferrous and non ferrous metals.
- Advising coal supplier on the negotiation and settlement of a US$280million dispute with a North American power producer due to new government export restrictions and declaration of force majeure, subject to SIAC arbitration.
- Advising coal exporter in relation to various long term supply contracts to power stations under construction in India.
- Acting for Japanese trading house in settling US$60million disputes over metallurgical coal exports from USA into India, subject to three London ICC arbitrations and a related challenge to arbitral jurisdiction in Bombay litigation.
- Advising large pulp and paper trading company on WTO dispute resolution procedure after complaint made by Malaysia in respect of imports from Philippines.
- Advising the Metals Group of Enron Europe in relation to its active arbitrations (some of them LME) for various major losses whilst on secondment to them for five months in 2001.
- Acted for creditors of Lam Guan Chan trading, a large commodity business, following their collapse and subsequent Judicial Management in Singapore and Malaysia.
- Acting for steel trading company winning ICC arbitration award and costs in Singapore concerning the sale of steel billets from India to Mauritius.
- Acting for leading exporters of Palm Kernal Expellers from Malaysia in various disputes.
- Advising on various trading disputes between Indian and Chinese counterparts relating to commodity condition and financing.