Acted as sole, panel, or presiding arbitrator in construction disputes involving offshore assets valued at over US$500m. Assets included platform supply vessels, jack ups, hopper barges, tender rigs and other equipment.
We have experience involving construction projects on land and offshore. Some examples are provided below.
Offshore construction & shipyards
We have worked on cases involving many of the major shipyards in the region.
- Recent construction arbitrations have involved
- platform supply vessel
- multiple SETR and DES
- jackup independent leg cantilever
- large jack up with accommodation for over 140 pax
- split hopper barges
- Advising after damage caused to topside unit when it slipped during load out at shipyard.
- Advising after crane collapsed causing fatalities, damage and delay during construction of rig at shipyard.
- Advising on damage caused by flooding of vessel whilst under construction.
- Advising on damage caused to vessels whilst being repaired or modified in shipyards.
- Advising on claims relating to defective construction of various types of vessel.
- Acting as arbitrator in relation to shipbuilding disputes between yard and customers.
Other offshore work
- contractor’s claim for delay caused to subsea riser clamp installation program offshore India due to defective pre-installation survey and non confirming free issue material.
- Handling ICC arbitration concerning tripod levelling tools to be deployed as part of spread for offshore wind-farm installation in Europe.
- Handling dispute over damage caused to subsea pipeline off Malaysia.
- Advising after damage caused to SBMs supplying power stations following change of tidal conditions due to nearby land reclamation.
- LCIA arbitration over provision of spread to provide sat diving operations off Africa
- Dispute over faults in newly built factory in India
- Causation and insurance coverage analysis following collapse of large bridge being built between Laos and Thailand
- Causation and coverage review, following unexpected subsidence of newly built office tower in Singapore
- Advising on insurance cover following explosion at newly constructed oil terminal in Malaysia.
- Advising on claims arising from thyristor failure at new coal fired power station in PRC.
- Advising on liability for defective construction of various other industrial facilities including methanol plant; cement silos; tank farm; site for coal stockpile.
- Advising after bridge collapsed due to nearby land reclamation.